Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Nuget - Loading NetStandard on Top of NetFramework - Versioning

More
29 Aug 2023 05:56 #12044 by support
Hello.

We reference only the NuGet packages we absolutely need. And we need to find a balance between not choosing versions that are too old (and might have bugs, be deprecated etc.), and versions that are too new (because that would require our users to upgrade, and they may not like it).

Many references are pulled in indirectly, and we have no control over them. This is especially the case with OPC UA stack from OPC Foundation, which is probably what is at the heart of your post.

This said, I will try to address the issues in your report:

1) You wrote that "a lot of Net Core nugets loaded too" [in .NET Framework 4.8 project]. I do not understand what you mean. The NuGet packages being referenced are not specific to .NET Core or .NET Framework. They cover multiple targets, and *inside* each NuGet package, there are/might be different assemblies or further references for different targets.

2) You wrote "Many of the updates fail". Cannot reproduce it. I created a new .NET Framework 4.8 (console) project, and added OpcLabs.QuickOpc version 5.71.334 to it. It goes without error.

3) "many deprecated Nugets" - I am seeing just one (Microsoft.Extension.PlatformAbstractions). Will look at it, but there is no newer version, so we might be forced to stay with it.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2023 17:27 #12039 by bartlynn
When I was helping a coworker, I noticed when we loaded the default C# netFramework 4.8 template, and brought in the latest 5.71.334 OpcLabs.QuickOpc, there were a lot of Net Core nugets loaded too. It was showing over 79 updates. Many of the updates fail since the project is framework 4.8. By pulling in all of the NetCore Dlls, it adds needless bulk to the project. While some updates can go up some versions, unless its a Net Core project, many will just linger. Many of the Nugets it pulls in are deprecated (mainly for Net Core) since those will be included in Net Core 8 , for example.

With the release of 5.72, will this be cleaned up? Seems like the nuget could be configured to separate the frameworks better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds