Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Quick OPC and Simatic OPC Server troubles

More
30 Jan 2013 08:54 #1194 by support
Hello,
there seems to be multiple things going on, so we need to address them one by one.
First is with the license, this one is easy. According to your screenshots, you are installing license file for Version 5.2 under the product of Version 5.1. The version of the license is in the 3rd and 4th digit of its serial number, so if you have xx52..., it is a license for Version 5.2.
If your application truly uses Version 5.1, you need to install the licenses for version 5.1. If you do not have them because you have purchased at time when Version 5.2 was released, let me know, and we will send the licenses for Version 5.1 to you, free of charge.
But if your application is already using Version 5.2, you need to go the License Manager again, and in the "Component" drop-down, select the product with the right version (5.2), and then install the license for 5.2 under it.
Next thing is the exception with "The item definition does not exist in the server address space.". This exception always come from the target OPC server, so the ItemID can be fully incorrect (which is not your case), or the OPC server present a dynamic address space where the item does not exist at one moment and then does exist a bit later, for whatever reason. We never "make up" this error. You need to consult this behavior with the server vendor. If this is how the OPC server "should" behave according to the server vendor, then there is this piece of additiona information that can help dealing with it: QuickOPC internally marks items that return this error, and (within one application) does no re-try them for certain period, which defaults to 5 minutes. This is a configuation parameters called TopicRetrialDelay (in milliseconds), so if you want this to happen earlier, you cxan set it to lower number. Whether the items (for subscribed items) should be retried is evaluated, by default, every 1 minute, and is controlled by the TopicRetrialPeriod, so if you set TopicRetrialDelay low, you should set the TopicRetrialPeriod also lower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 06:00 #1190 by support
Dear Sir,
I apologize for not replying sooner - it appears that we had a technical problem, and some notifications about forum activity have been lost. I will now answer the posts one by one, hopefully during today and tomorrow.

More
23 Jan 2013 15:09 - 23 Feb 2014 09:07 #1186 by LuanKotze

Hallo,
After analysing the program and attached error log I was able to determine that in addition to the previously stated problem of not being able to read items without first reading them via another client. The application stops every 30mins due to “Run time is over the limit.”- see attached error log. In spite of the fact that I do have a valid license-please see attached screen shots. I however have a daemon program running that simply restarts the application when this occurs, after a few restarts the ItemChanged event simply does not fire anymore.
Any suggestions?
Kind Regards,
Luan
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 09:07 by support.

More
17 Jan 2013 19:59 - 23 Feb 2014 09:06 #1181 by LuanKotze
Hi,
I have set up a log file to capture the exception when it happens again. I was however able to capture the exception when first running the app without reading the items via OPC scout first. Using the OpcNetDemo app I try to read from localhost Server:OPC.SimaticNET.1 Item ID: S7:[S7-Verbindung_1]DB99.2,w I get the exception : "The item definition does not exist in the server address space.". After using the very same values in OPC Scout reading them once, I simply go back to the OpcNetDemo app, click the read button again and the values magically pop up. Any advice would be greatly
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 09:06 by support.

More
16 Jan 2013 17:23 #1179 by support
Hello,
in order to be able to analyze this, you first need to look at what data you are receiving in the notifications, especially after they become "problematic". Specifically, analyze the Exception property of the incoming eventArgs: If it is non-null, it contains an exception object describing the problem. What is the error message in the Exception object?
Best regards

More
16 Jan 2013 16:34 - 23 Feb 2014 09:07 #1178 by LuanKotze
Hi all,
I am currently experiencing some problems with QuickOPC.net and Simatic OPC server. My application is a simple HMI screen that only displays some values from the PLC’s DB. I am using VB.net 2010. My problem starts with begin unable to read any Items from the server, unless I first read them with another program such as Simatic OPC Scout, after 1 read, they are read correctly by my program, for about 10 hours, after which I start receiving null values. This behaviour holds for the demo applications supplied with the product. However other applications such as OPC Scout still receive the correct data, even after QuickOPC returns Null values.

For my application I went about modifying an example from OPCLabs, and it works as expected. I create an argumentArray of values to be monitored and then simply use the easyDAClient1.SubscribeMultipleItems(argumentArray). I then grab the data from the asyDAClient1_ItemChanged event, and use it in some labels. However, I first have to read the items I add in my argumentArray with another OPC client, before starting my application or it does not work. The asyDAClient1_ItemChanged Vtq.DisplayValue() starts returning null values after about 10 hours or so. While other OPC clients continue to function normally. The OPC server is run on the same machine as my application.

Any help would be appreciated.
Luan.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 09:07 by support.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds