Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

× If you are developing in .NET, but are using the OPC-UA (OPC Unified Architecture), please post in the QuickOPC-UA category instead.

VSToolbox Not Properly Showing Components

More
03 Aug 2023 19:34 #11976 by nknox
Thanks for the explanation. For any customers that inquire about this, I will let them know the target is currently November :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2023 18:08 #11975 by support
Hello.

As I wrote earlier, resolving this will need extensive internal changes (and I am still not sure what else will get affected and how much work in other areas that will trigger). My plan was to include it with 2023.2 release, in November. I have checked the calendar and the other tasks I have, and unfortunately I cannot commit to an earlier date. If thing go very well, I can hope for end of October.

I am not aware of anything really important for our end users in Visual Studio versions past 17.4.0. And the VS installer makes it actually quite easy (though time consuming) to downgrade or upgrade VS versions. So while it is an ugly workaround, the suggestion to use VS 17.4.0 (be it just for using the components from the toolbox) still holds, until we have a true resolution. AFAIK, everything else works in newer versions of VS. So in fact, one can e.g. use VS 17.4.0 on one computer just to drag components from the toolbox - and use newer VS on a second computer for everything else.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: nknox

More
01 Aug 2023 20:33 #11972 by nknox
Hello,

I just wanted to check in and see if you have a timeline for when you expect the release with this fix to be available? We have 3 or so users who have now been affected by this, so we would like to give them an idea of the time scale so they can choose how to move forward,

Thanks

More
07 Jul 2023 21:14 #11892 by gkalipershad
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, you are correct, the runtime and existing components appear to work fine and the issue appears to be limited to just the components missing from the VSToolbox.

Until this is resolved, my team and I will notify our users that need the VSToolbox components to avoid upgrading past VS2022 17.4.0.

Regards,
GK

More
05 Jul 2023 14:20 - 04 Sep 2023 09:58 #11873 by support
Hello.

I have investigated deeper. Unfortunately, it seems that in newer Visual Studio builds, Microsoft has made a "slight" change, with profound consequences to us.
I tried some simpler approaches to fix it, but failed. I think I know the proper way to address the problem, but it is going to be demanding and extensive change (it involves splitting the product assemblies), so it cannot be done as a "patch" to an existing version. I will work on it for version 2023.2.

Unfortunately, this means that for users who want to use the QuickOPC items from Visual Studio toolbox with version 2023.1, they have to stay with Visual Studio 17.4.0 or so. I know this is not good, but we could not anticipate the Microsoft change (which is even documented by them as "breaking change" for non-Windows platforms, but they have not realized it might affect Windows projects including Visual Studio extensions as well).

Note that as far as I know, in the runtime (and even in the VS designer, when the components are already there on the form), everything works fine. The only problem is that the items are missing from the toolbox. The components can still be used.

Best regards
Last edit: 04 Sep 2023 09:58 by support.

More
22 Jun 2023 21:20 #11839 by gkalipershad
Good to hear it is reproducible. For now, I have proven that rolling back VS2022 and reinstalling the QuickOpc toolkit restores the Components in the VSToolbox. This has been shared with the customer.

More
22 Jun 2023 17:02 #11838 by support
Hello.

I could not reproduce the problem with Visual Studio 17.4.0, which is what was used at the time of release.
After upgrading to Visual Studio 17.6.4, I was able to reproduce it.

This will take some time to investigate. I will post here when I have some news.

Regards

More
21 Jun 2023 18:42 #11835 by gkalipershad
I will answer based on my system because I am seeing the same issue.

1. Did the customer run the full installer (Setup), or is just referencing the NuGet packages? (the installer must be used).
- Used the full installer
2. Please obtain the full Visual Studio version (something like 17.x.y) - from Help -> About.
3. When he does in Visual Studio: Extensions -> Manage Extensions, Installed - is QuickOPC extension listed there?
- Yes, and it shows the correct version, 5.71.234.1
4. Which .NET runtime is he targeting? (from the Project properties page).

More
21 Jun 2023 18:25 #11834 by support
Hello.

1. Did the customer run the full installer (Setup), or is just referencing the NuGet packages? (the installer must be used).
2. Please obtain the full Visual Studio version (something like 17.x.y) - from Help -> About.
3. When he does in Visual Studio: Extensions -> Manage Extensions, Installed - is QuickOPC extension listed there?
4. Which .NET runtime is he targeting? (from the Project properties page).

Thanks

More
21 Jun 2023 18:02 #11833 by gkalipershad
Hello,

I am working with a customer using V5.71.234.1 and in VS2022, they are not seeing all the components in the VSToolbox. In my own testing, I see the same and I am not sure why.

The only ones we see are AutomaticValueControl and Computer BrowserDialog and when we go to Choose Items, we do not see anything else when filtering for 'opclabs'.

We followed along with this, but it did not resolve the issue.

softwaretoolbox.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/OpcDataClient/...sual%20Studio%20Extension.html
Attachments:

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds