Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

× If you are developing in .NET, but are using the OPC-UA (OPC Unified Architecture), please post in the QuickOPC-UA category instead.

Unhandled Exception on Data Client Application

More
13 Oct 2018 08:19 #6748 by support
Hello,

the answer is easy. The program crashes because of the unhandled exception. And the exception is unhandled because the customer has not handled it. This can be seen from the call stack in "OPC Crash 1.PNG", where the customer calls the WriteItemValue method, and the method throws OpcException.

The call to WriteItemValue should be surrounded with try/catch, and handle the OpcException. These are exceptions that have their origin in the OPC communication (either come form the server or the client side), therefore cannot be always ruled out, and the customer's code must be able to cope with them.

opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...ame.html#Error%20Handling.html

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: gkalipershad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2018 21:34 #6747 by gkalipershad
OPC Crash 1.PNG was not properly attached.
Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2018 21:33 #6746 by gkalipershad
Hello,

A customer of mine had his OPC Data Client application crash one night. He was able to provide an Unhandled Exception from the Event Viewer. (See OPC Crash 1.PNG attached)

Here are other details I was able to obtain:

Win7 Pro x86
.NET Framework 4.7.1
OPC Data Client 5.52.66.2
Visual Studio Professional 2017
OPC DA
Think & Do OPC Server

I have not heard back from him in a couple weeks, so this could have been a one time occurrence, but I have followed up with him and wanted to see if you any idea of what could have happened based on the error, in case he does resurface.

There are two other screenshots that he provided, but I do not believe those are very helpful. Please let me know if there is anything else that you need.

Thanks,
G
Attachments:

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds