Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

The CertificateGenerator utility is not installed.

More
12 Jan 2015 15:43 #2595 by support
I suspect that the problem can be in the fact that "current directory" is not necessarily the directory where the executable resides. If you look at Steps 1 to 4 described further above in this thread, you will see that Steps 1 to 3 use a current directory as a base for their search.

It is quite possible that the current directory is not the executable directory (the code uses Environment.Directory property, which in turn uses Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() method). The Microsoft documentation and the code comments (in the .NET source) give confusing picture as to what precisely the current directory is, especially when the process starts. It certainly can change from its original value, even if it had contained the executable directory initially.

Therefore, it seems that the only "stable", reliable place where the certificate generator is to be found is the one described in Step 4.

This is not ideal; unfortunately the code that searches for the certificate generator is not ours - it is part of OPC Foundation stack & SDK. In theory we can bypass the mechanism, but doing so is more involved. I suggest to install the certificate generator into "%CommonProgramFiles%\OPC Foundation\UA\v1.0\Bin". If you install the redistributables that we have documented as needed (namely, the Local Discovery Server), that's where it will be/go anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2015 08:24 #2593 by adid@contel.co.il
Hi
I written a windows service and in the deployment project I've made sure that the "Opc.Ua.CertificateGenerator.exe" will be placed in the service installation folder (where the service exe file resides)
and still I get an exception:
StatusCode: {BadConfigurationError} = 0x80890000 (2156462080)
Description: The CertificateGenerator utility is not installed.

If I manually copy the "Opc.Ua.CertificateGenerator.exe" to %CommonProgramFiles%\OPC Foundation\UA\v1.0\Bin then it starts to work and no error is thrown

Do you have any ideas why it happens?

Adi

More
02 Dec 2013 08:48 #1580 by yaire
Thank you.

Somehow, this issue was solved.
Unfortunately, can't put my finger on why, and what's changed.
Possibly, however not sure, I reinstalled with administrator privileges.

More
29 Nov 2013 07:51 #1570 by support
Thank you. This is weird. I'd like to ask you for still more information:
  1. What kind of application is your project? E.g. Windows Forms app, WPF app, Windows Service, Web app, etc.?
  2. What is the "Platform Target" setting of your application (project)? Is it set to "Any CPU", or "x86", or "x64"?
  3. Have you tried running with elevated privileges?
Best regards

More
28 Nov 2013 10:59 #1568 by yaire
Thanks for your reply,

"Opc.Ua.CertificateGenerator.exe" file was found at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\OPC Foundation\UA\v1.0\Bin".

Ya'ir.

More
28 Nov 2013 09:21 #1567 by support
Can you please search your "Program Files" directory for "Opc.Ua.CertificateGenerator.exe", and let me know if it is there, and if so, its full location?

If you are on a 64-bit system, it should be under "Program Files (x86)".

Some more information:
  • The certificate generator is only need the first time the application is run.
  • An administrator access with elevated privileges ("Run as administrator") may be necessary this first time.
  • There is a search algorithm that looks for the utility at multiple places, and this error is thrown if it is not found at any of the locations.

The search algorithm works as follows - and stops at the moment it finds the appropriately named file:
  1. First it looks in the current working directory
  2. It looks in the "Bin" subdirectory of it.
  3. It proceeds to parent directory, and continues with Step 2.
  4. It looks in %CommonProgramFiles%\OPC Foundation\UA\v1.0\Bin

More
28 Nov 2013 05:53 #1566 by yaire
On behalf of Adi Damty:

It's a new computer, and default installation choices have been made.

Thank you,
Ya'ir.

More
27 Nov 2013 16:49 #1565 by support
Hello,

has it been working before on the same computer?
Or, is it on a new computer? If so, what installation choices have you made - anything different from the default?

Thank you

More
27 Nov 2013 15:00 #1564 by adid@contel.co.il
Hello,

i am trying to connect to opc server UA with opc client, and i get the UAException :

The CertificateGenerator utility is not installed.

what should i do ?

thank you,
Adi Damty

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds