Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Restrict browsing to nodes / do not display attributes

More
29 Jun 2017 06:26 #5294 by support
In QuickOPC 2017.1 Beta:

Added IncludeProperties property to UABrowseMode and UADataDialog. Determines whether Property nodes will be included in browse results.

(from kb.opclabs.com/What%27s_new_in_QuickOPC_2017.1 ).

Also, the button look-and-feel has been changed - hopefully to the better.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2017 14:44 #5263 by support
Thank you, no problem. Feedback for usability issues is also good. We will try to incorporate your suggestions into the product.

• m.baumgartner
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2017 14:20 #5261 by m.baumgartner
Replied by m.baumgartner on topic Restrict browsing to nodes / do not display attributes
Oh ok, my bad. Hope I didn't waste too much or your time.

If you ask me, there might be 2 things you could do to make it more clear.

1) Make the "up arrow" and "down arrow" buttons more visible, by making them a bit larger and putting colored icons. They feel like disabled right now. Attention is taken by the middle button.

2) Introduce a boolean parameters to the invocation of the dialog where we can choose to not show the middle button. This way it would be very clear.

Thanks again for your help.

More
16 Jun 2017 09:52 #5250 by support
I see. I haven't noticed to that level of detail what you were showing in the animation.

In this case, it's just a misunderstanding. The button you are using adds the currently selected node, and everything that's under it, recursively. In fact, this can get somewhat dangerous at times, if there are many nodes involved.

The primary tool to select nodes "one by one" should be the button to the left - a simple down-arrow.

Maybe the user interface is misleading a bit? But how to make it better?

• m.baumgartner
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2017 07:27 #5248 by m.baumgartner
Replied by m.baumgartner on topic Restrict browsing to nodes / do not display attributes
Ok thank you for the explanation and for the approximate resolution time.

Just so you know, it's not just about being able to see the properties on the right hand side of the form.
What we think introduce confusion is that when you select a tag node and click the button to add it to the "selected nodes" field, it also automatically add all it's property.

As you can see in the UA gif, when Int16Value is selected, EURange is automatically added to the "selection nodes" section.

If the user is to select 3 or 4 tags in it's multi-selection process, it might get quickly confusing to see all properties of all tags in that single field.

Hope i'm being clear.

More
16 Jun 2017 06:34 - 16 Jun 2017 06:34 #5246 by support
If you were doing browsing from the code (using EasyUAClient methods), then the answer would be Yes - it is possible to select/filter the browsing results like this.

This pre-made UABrowseDialog dialog, however, currently does not have a way to exclude nodes that are Properties. It is a useful suggestion, though.

I will make a note and see what we can do about it. There is a chance to have this implemented into the upcoming version (2017.1), which might be released in July. Your license is purchased with a maintenance, so the new version will be free of charge for you.

I cannot promise it, but take it with higher than 50% chance that the feature will be there.

Note that in my view, the Property nodes are not that "bad" or distracting as you may think. In fact, by hiding them, you risk that some important information would then become inaccessible to the users. I have a feeling (but have not verified it) that, for example, some companion (sector-specific) UA specifications make heavier use of Property nodes for their data.

Regards
Last edit: 16 Jun 2017 06:34 by support.

• m.baumgartner
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jun 2017 14:04 #5245 by m.baumgartner
Ok maybe we're not quite good on OPC UA terminology just yet. This is our first OPC UA related project, so pardon my terminology mistakes.

Is there a way to not show theses "Properties" then?

PS : I'm glad the gifs made it faster for you to understand ;) The software we use is screentogif.

Mathieu

More
15 Jun 2017 13:42 #5244 by support
I do not see any attributes being displayed. If you refer to nodes such as "EURange", then they are not attributes - they are Properties. Properties are nodes with some special characteristics, but still quite normal and useful nodes.

If you want to see what attributes are, make a reverse experiment, and set the SelectElementType to UAElementType_Attribute.

BTW, I enjoyed your animated GIFs so much. That's very practical. May I ask which software you use to create them?

Best regards

• m.baumgartner
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jun 2017 13:12 #5243 by m.baumgartner
Thank you for your answer.

Here is the code i'm using (delphi) :
 BrowseDialog := TUABrowseDialog.Create(nil);
 BrowseDialog.Mode.SelectElementType := UAElementType_Node;
 //BrowseDialog.Mode.SelectableNodeClasses := UANodeClass_Variable;
  BrowseDialog.Mode.MultiSelect := true;
  BrowseDialog.ShowDialog(nil);

you can find attached a gif of the result in OPC UA and DA.

in DA we don't see the attributes.

in UA we see them.

We just bought QuickOPC a few weeks back so we're using a very "fresh" version but i don't know exactly which. I could check if that can make a major difference.
Attachments:

More
15 Jun 2017 10:33 #5242 by support
Hello,
yes, with Mode.SelectElementType "Node", the attributes should be hidden.

Are you saying that this is not the case?

Which QuickOPC version are you using?

Best regards

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds