Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

License not recognized, and crash on target system

More
05 Oct 2011 07:07 #509 by support

Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 11:47 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: ….

Hello,

[….]. Last night, my app ran on target system successful.

It seems that the problem was that I downloaded 5.02 in May to evaluate and thought the 5.1x license would work. After I realized the version issue, I updated to 5.1x, but I did not clean up all 5.02 libraries so there was 30 minutes timeout. Finally, I cleaned up 5.02 libraries and the app ran on development system for hours and ran on target system. Now I can make progress.

[…..]
Thanks,
Ch,

On 9/24/2011 4:45 AM, Zbynek Zahradnik wrote:

Hello,
Alright this is plenty of stuff to deal with. I think there are multiple issues going on, so we need to separate them out.

First some clarifications:
- Yes, the licenses only work with certain version of the product. The one you have purchased will run with all versions labeled 5.1x, but will not be recognized by 5.0x.
- There really is no difference in how the licenses work on development and/or runtime computers. On both, the easy way to install the license is to run the License Manager and install the license. Only if you need to get around this (such as preinstall the license within your own installation program), there are special steps needed and I can send you instructions to that, but I do not think this is what you need at the moment.

The crash is not related to licensing. Crash upon startup is usually caused by:
- Improper assembly versions, or bitness (32-/64- bits)
- Improper .NET Framework versions or app configuration file
- Missing prerequisites: most likely, a precise version of Microsoft C++ runtime libraries
In order to figure this out, I would need at least the information from “What does this error report contain” link on the error box. But since you are not getting this with version 5.11, and this is the one you purchased and we support, I think we can leave this aside for now. Also, since running the installation program of Version 5.04 actually has resolved the crash, I think that the cause was the missing prerequisites. There is a chapter in the Concepts document that explains in details what is needed on target system; in short, if you just put your assemblies and EXE there, it is not sufficient. The actual prerequisites for version 5.11 are different but still some are needed. Running the installation program and selecting the proper “Production” installation type (this is for target systems) always installs the prerequisites, so when you do it this way you do not have to worry about what precisely the prerequisites are.

Next issue is “no data update” (right away, not just after 30 minutes). This also is not related to licensing. And, the component is designed to always send at least one notification after a Subscribe – even in case of error. So, I think that you are probably receiving that notification, and it might contain the Exception property filled in with interesting information, but since it does not contain useful OPC data, you might be throwing it away. Can you please check your event handler, and make sure you test for the Exception property of the event arguments being not a null reference; and, if the Exception property DOES come filled in with some non-null Exception object, please provide details about it.

The last issue is that the license for version 5.1x is not recognized by the component. Currently I do not know the reason, but can you please check that the license appears in License Manager under selection of Component: EasyOPC.NET 5.1, and NOT Component: EasyOPC.NET 5.0? The reason I am asking is that because the License Manager would actually allow you to install a license for Version 5.1x “under” the Version 5.0x, but the component will then not find and recognize it.

Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik

Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:48 AM
Subject: …

Hello,

Here is new situation. Ran QuickOPC.NET 5.04.exe to Install all QuickOPC related file. No crash on target system. But none of OPC item is updated.

The license does not work on development system either. The program stops updating after 30 minutes after the license installed. It behaves like trial version. I should have tested this first before tested on target system.

It seems to me that my program does not have license info so that on development system the program stops OPC communication after 30 minutes and on target system, the program has no OPC communication at all.

Here are the steps I developed my program:
1. Downloaded and installed QuickOPC.NET 5.04.exe.
This was in late May. While I looked around, especially about license part, there was something about needing to have development
license.
2. Developed C# program with EasyOpcCommonNet and EasyOpcDANet.
3. Tested the program on development system. OK for 30 minutes or so (as trial license time limit.)
4. Purchased 15102: QuickOPC.NET 5.1, Single Developer + Runtime Free License.
5. Used license manager to install license file.
6. Rebuilt program.
7. Ran program on target system and crashed. See attached picture.
8. Ran QuickOPC.NET 5.04.exe on target system.
9 Ran program again on target system. No crash, but no data update as well. (As mentioned at top of this email.)
10. Noticed the invoice is for version 5.1.
11. Downloaded QuickOPC-Classic 5.11.exe; uninstalled license; uninstall 5.04; and ran QuickOPC-Classic 5.11.exe; re-install license.
12. Added EasyOpcClassicNet assembly after removed EasyOpcCommonNet and EasyOpcDANet in MSVS.
13. Built and ran on development system. OK but program stops getting updated date after 30 minutes.

Please let me which step I miss. Again, I do not see how and where the "single developer" is activated. I know it is simple process, but it is first for me to do it and I cannot find the link for how to get it done.

Thanks,
Ch.

On 9/23/2011 7:40 AM, Zbynek Zahradnik wrote:
Hello.

Can you please provide the details to “it crashes on target PC”. Can you please describe the symptoms.

Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik, OPC Labs

Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:56 PM
Subject: …

Dear Zbynek Zahradnik,

I installed the license file on both my development PC (using your trial version) and target (deployed) PC. The program runs on my development PC, but it crashes on the target PC.

I remember I saw something about the development system needs to do more when I started evaluating QuickOPC months ago. Please let me know how to set up development PC so that the same license file will run on target system.

…..

Thanks,
Ch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds