Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

CSharpExamples web services autostart

More
13 Jan 2016 18:54 #3760 by support
There are many options. For instance, servers from MatrikonOPC (www.matrikonopc.com/ ) are quite commonly used.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: franktore

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 09:31 #3759 by franktore
Do you have a suggestion for a OPC server we could download to set up some tests of our own?
I am currently in the very early stages of implementing opc features into our system and I do need to play around a bit to get familiar. From what I've gained so far I feel QuickOpc will certainly satisfy our ultimate needs, but I do want to see things from the server perspective as well.

Best regards

More
12 Jan 2016 15:16 #3748 by support
The QuickOPC product is an OPC client toolkit. It does not aim at creating OPC servers at all.

The trial version (what you are using now) is identical to what you get when you buy it, except that the trial version only provides "good quality" data for the first 30 minutes the client application process is run (it can be re-started to get another 30 minutes, and so on).

More
12 Jan 2016 14:50 #3747 by franktore
By purchasing the product, will we get a configurable server or be able to construct our own servers?

More
12 Jan 2016 14:37 #3746 by support
The process is opcrtkit.exe.
As we have developed it just for test and demonstration, there are no configuration features.

For OPC "Classic" servers as this one, it is the Microsoft COM/DCOM infrastructure that takes care of starting and sometimes also stopping the server(s). The actual way it works depends on how the server is developed and how COM/DCOM is configured. In the case of our server and how it is normally installed, COM starts it with the first OPCServer object being created inside it by any client, and it stops itself automatically several after no live OPC objects exist inside it (i.e. is not used by any OPC client).

More
12 Jan 2016 14:32 #3745 by franktore
I see, so the ConsoleApplication1 relies on a sample simulation server running on my machine. What is the processname of this server and when is it started/stopped? Can I somehow manipulate it to add or remove parameters?

Best regards,
Frank

More
12 Jan 2016 14:21 #3744 by support
For OPC Data Access and OPC Alarms&Events, we install a sample simulation OPC server on the local computer, and use it in all our examples (the fact that it is on the local computer is indicated by empty "machine name" argument in the method calls).

For OPC Unified Architecture (that's in the example projects that start with "UA"), we do not install a sample server, but instead provide a publicly accessible OPC-UA server on the Web, and again, all examples refer to it. The server's URL can be seen in the code of those examples.

Best regards

More
12 Jan 2016 13:27 #3743 by franktore
Thanks, that's very nice to know. It isn't a problem that the services are running, I just need to know what's going on in order to learn.

If I may, another question is where does the datagenerating opc server reside, since obviously there must be one to answer the query of ConsoleApplication1?

More
11 Jan 2016 17:05 #3741 by support
Dear Sir,
thank you for your interest in our products.

I think that the behavior you described has nothing to do with our product. It has to do with Visual Studio. The solution contains some projects that are Web pages, and Visual Studio starts an internal Web server for them. VS treats the solution as a whole, and thinks that somehow these Web sites may be needed e.g. when you debug "ConsoleApplication1".

If that bothers you, simply unload (or remove... but that's maybe too much) the Web projects from the solution.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: franktore

More
11 Jan 2016 16:16 #3739 by franktore
Hi, I've just installed your product and started testing the different CSharp examples found in the QuickOpcCSharpExamples solution. I noticed that whenever I start debugging an application, lets say the "ConsoleApplication1", 8 different web services will automatically fire up in the background. I am very curious to know where the code/app responsible for this behaviour resides. I've not found any trace of which part of the solution or project is doing it. Also I see that if the application is started by calling the executable directly then the services do not start.
Is it possible to shed some light here?

Best regards,
Frank

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds