Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

OPCUA NodeManagment

More
19 Jul 2018 13:21 #6530 by Enrico
Replied by Enrico on topic OPCUA NodeManagment
Thanks for your response.

We are purely on the application level (operators) and would like to avoid SDKs where we can.

We have identified an OPCUA Gateway which has the capability to read an xml opcua node set definition file during start-up. We will try if that gateway does what we want.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2018 16:09 #6522 by support
Replied by support on topic OPCUA NodeManagment
I understand what you are trying to achieve. I think it can be summarized like this: You need an OPC UA server with a dynamic address space, where new nodes will be definable in runtime, either through the OPC UA NodeManagement services, or by other means (update NodeSet file loaded in runtime).

We specialize in client side, so I cannot tell with certainty much for the server, aside from some hints:
- AFAIK the OPC Foundation UA stack/SDK, and many available commercial toolkits, allow nodes be added in runtime, by your code. It's just that it is rarely used.
- The NodeSet model/format is not "visible" through OPC UA interface. It is just a convenience to make it easier to define standard and custom information models, but nothing prescribes that it must be (the only) way the server obtains its information model.
- Looking at OPC Foundation UA stack/SDK (server side code), the services from NodeManagement have "stubs" ready to be used, but no real code implemented in them. So the infrastructure is there, you need to fill in code for methods like AddNodes, AddReferences...
- I suggest you ask the server toolkit vendors about the possibilities/support for dynamic address space.

To the client side: QuickOPC (as of the current 2018.2 version) does not have support for services from NodeManagement set. It might be possible to add them with major effort; they appear to have not much dependencies on or new requirements beyond what we already have. If you decide to go the way of NodeManagement services, and it is a long term plan, we can probably add those in a future version (but most likely not the upcoming 2018.3, because the development effort there has a completely different focus). Let me know if your considerations end up seeing this approach as the preferred way (assuming that you somehow resolve the server side of things), and we will discuss the options then.

Regards

More
04 Jul 2018 07:26 #6488 by support
Replied by support on topic OPCUA NodeManagment
Hello,

thanks for your input. I will reply, but please bear with me as I am on travel until approx. July 17.

Best regards

More
02 Jul 2018 13:03 #6482 by Enrico
OPCUA NodeManagment was created by Enrico
The QuickOPC Client (Excel) makes it really simple and easy for the user to work with OPCUA. There are two scenarios, where the usage of only an OPCUA client limits the user.
User Scenario:
(1) The user defines a new value (e.g. P = U*I) in an Excel Spreadsheet and wants to publish that (via QuickOPC Client) into the OPC UA Framework.
(2) Simple adapter from hardware using RS232/RS422 interface. The RS232/RS422 data can be received via programs (VB, C#, Python) and easily published via QuickOPC Client.
We want to avoid to develop each time an OPCUA server. That is time consuming and badly adaptable by the user.
If there would be an OPCUA Server for which the data nodes can be easily added or defined, than we would have a system as shown in the figure (Attachment).
(1) We would have a server with user defined nodes.
(2) Via QuickOPC the data from any source can be forwarded to OPCUA.
Basically we see two ways:
(a) Node management, The OPCUA Standard offers a so called node management, where one could add Nodes from the client. I barely have heard that anyone has implemented that services. Neither on the server nor on the client side. Do you have other information?
(b) Use the NodeSet File [xml] to define the data model. What I understood is, that the current implementations (UA Automation) only foresee the use of the NodeSet File during compilation. Thus still a development environment would we required and a re-compilation each time the user wants to add a new node. It would be much better if a server during start-up reads the NodeSet xml file. Then the user could, without compiling, modify the data model according to his/her needs. Do you know if such a server exists?
Would you know another option to cover the user scenario?
Attachments:

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds