Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Runtime is over the limit despite purchased and installed license

More
14 Dec 2017 19:54 #5736 by support
Thank you. We will make a "caution" note in the documentation, although there are many possible ways and tools the customers can create the installation, and we cannot cover the "traps" presented by all these tools.

I am glad the cause is determined now. I got distracted by the claim that the license on your development computer was installed by the License Manager and still did not work, which in my understanding, in retrospective, was not correct (or maybe it was, but it was later overwritten by your own method).

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2017 14:20 #5733 by dvrstrae
Reinstalling the license resolved the issue. After some investigation it seems like the issue is caused by Visual Studio. I create an .msi installer for our application using an Installer project, where you also describe registry keys to be created during installation. These registry keys were first exported from my local registry. However, it appears that VS makes some changes when importing these into the Installer project that causes the license check to fail.

I will as a workaround investigate other means of deploying the license keys on deployment machines, but it may be good to note this issue in the documentation.

More
13 Dec 2017 18:59 #5730 by support
Thank you.

Yes, sure, please uninstall/reinstall the license. That is completely safe. It would not hurt trying.

Regards

More
13 Dec 2017 18:39 - 13 Dec 2017 18:41 #5729 by dvrstrae
No problem, any help to get this issue sorted is welcome. Answers below:

1. No, none so far. We have tested on the development machine and two other machines where our software was installed along with the registry keys. All of them show the runtime limit exception, but we have only tested on the development machine using the demo application.
2. 64 bit.
3. Indeed, the license was installed using the License manager. No warnings or error messages during install.
4. That is correct.
5. 64 bit Windows 10. One piece of additional information that may or may not be relevant: the machine is a virtual machine, but all files etc. are installed on the guest machine so they should appear as local to all processes running on the VM.

A. I have only one entry under the 'Component' dropdown, QuickOPC.
B. Ok.
C. Ok.

Can I safely uninstall and reinstall the license using the .bin file? Is that something useful to try?

Thanks.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2017 18:41 by dvrstrae.

More
13 Dec 2017 18:20 #5728 by support
I have now tested your license key, particularly with QuickOPC version 2017.1, and could not reproduce the problem. I have another bunch of questions - sorry for that but I am trying to narrow down the options.

1. Is there any computer on which the license works well for you?
2. Is your application running under 32-bit or 64-it process?

3. Let's focus on JUST the development computer for the remainder of these questions. Please confirm that you have used the License Manager to *install* (not just view!) the license on this computer.
4. Please confirm that you have tested the demo application (in your previous post) on THIS computer, and that it had the problem.
5. What operating system/version are you running there? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Just to let you know, we are being approached with similar issue from customers repeatedly, from time to time. and it has never been a problem in the component. The problem has always boiled down to one of the following:

A. The customer is installing the license using License Manager, but under a wrong "Component" (the drop-down on the top).
B. The customer did not know that the license needs to be installed on the "target" computer, i.e. where the component is running, ad not just on the development computer.
C. The license was not installed using License Manager but by some manual method, and the customer has not properly put the license into both 32- and 64-bit parts of the registry.

It should be noted that the License Manager does only limited verification of the license. The actual verification is done by the component. It is therefore quite possible that when the license isn't properly installed, it still shows up in the License Manager.

Regards

More
13 Dec 2017 16:45 #5727 by dvrstrae
Any suggestions on what to try next? Should I try to uninstall and reinstall the license? Can I provide additional info?

Thanks and kind regards.

More
13 Dec 2017 14:11 #5724 by dvrstrae
Hello,

same error. See screenshot in attachment. FYI (but it probably makes no difference) the SYSTEM account has full control and the Users group has read access to the keys in the registry containing the license info.

Thanks.
Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2017 07:41 #5723 by support
Can you run the demo application (UI-based) that ships with the product, let it subscribe to some value, and run for over 30 minutes, to see if it has the same problem?

Thank you

More
13 Dec 2017 07:28 #5722 by dvrstrae
It is a Windows service, running under the LocalSystem account.

More
13 Dec 2017 07:25 #5721 by support
Thank you.

What kind of project is your application? (desktop app, Windows service etc.)? Under which user account is running? I am asking this to verify that the process has access to the registry keys where the license is stored.

Regards

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds