Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Timeout for BrowseServer

More
30 Oct 2015 12:41 #3634 by cdunlap
Replied by cdunlap on topic Timeout for BrowseServer
Hi,

Thanks for the update. At this point I do not think it is critical. I was working on a program for a customer, but he has not responded back when I asked him how important that functionality is - so for now I do not think it warrants your immediate attention (just whenever you get some time to get around to it).

If something in the customer's timeline changes, I will let you know. Thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2015 10:35 #3631 by support
Replied by support on topic Timeout for BrowseServer
This particular timeout seem to be ignored. The fix is, however, of medium complexity. How urgent or important is that?

More
27 Oct 2015 20:56 #3627 by cdunlap
Hello,

I'm using version 5.35.411.1 and trying to set a timeout value for BrowseServers. The problem is, the timeout is not occurring and the call to BrowseServers() continues to wait after my specified timeout.

I used the following code below to test it out and print out the time it takes for each operation, and if the operation threw an OPCException (timeout occurred):
            EasyDAClient client = new EasyDAClient();
            client.InstanceParameters.Timeouts.BrowseServers = 500;
            client.InstanceParameters.Timeouts.ReadItem = 500;

Stopwatch timer = new Stopwatch();

//BrowseServers timeout test
            ServerElementCollection serverList = new ServerElementCollection();
            timer.Start();
            try{
                 serverList =  client.BrowseServers("");
            }
            catch (OpcException e)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Error browsing servers: " + (e.InnerException != null ? e.InnerException.Message : e.Message));
            }
            timer.Stop();

Console.WriteLine("Time to browse servers: " + timer.Elapsed);

foreach (ServerElement server in serverList)
            {
                Console.WriteLine(server.ProgId);
            }

//ReadItem timeout test
            timer.Restart();
            try
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Value: " + client.ReadItem("OPCLabs.KitServer.2", "Demo.Ramp"));
            }
            catch (OpcException e)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Error reading tag: " + (e.InnerException != null ? e.InnerException.Message : e.Message));
            }
            timer.Stop();
            Console.WriteLine("Time to read item: " + timer.Elapsed);

To make sure it was not a mistake on my part, I also set the timeout for ReadItem, but I DO get the timeout to occur there - so it seems like it is something with the BrowseServers timeout setting specifically that I am missing. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds